Need to know insurance facts – for your ski home and you

Posted on 17 January 2013

Owners of ski property should ensure they have suitable buildings and contents insurance, as well as check they themselves are adequately covered for the time they spend on the slopes or participate in winter sports.

Ski properties are typically holiday homes, and as such owners should check their buildings and contents insurance covers them for rentals, if necessary, as well as periods when the property is left vacant – standard policies don’t tend to include these scenarios.

Renting out your ski home means your policy should include public liability insurance, loss of rental income following a claim, emergency travel and accommodation, and accidental damage cover for holiday tenants, as well as friends and family (this covers spillages and breakages).

Remember too to include contents – on a “new for old” basis – in your policy. Buildings insurance will cover permanent fixtures and fittings against damage but other items, such as appliances, furniture and ski equipment, will need insuring under a contents policy. Using a UK insurer could be your best option, as you can pay in Sterling and there will be no language barrier when talking through your policy or making a claim. It is advisable to get a no-obligation insurance quote, to get an idea of what your annual premium will be.

When it comes to protecting yourself, your personal insurance policy should cover you – and any members of your family on the policy – for every type of skiing or other winter sports you might take part in, as well as the usual travel insurance cover. This means your policy may need to cover you for off-piste skiing (with or without a guide), mountain rescue (including by helicopter), 24-hour emergency assistance, tobogganing, skidooing, ice skating, not to mention liability for injuring other people on the slopes.

Web Analytics